Happy Mother's Day
Sunday, May 13, 2018
I guess I have reached the status of 'matriarch' in our family. It isn't a position I worked for. It is just what it is.
According to one dictionary a 'matriarch' is a woman who is the head of a family or tribe;
an older woman who is powerful within a family or organization.
I am definitely older. In my birth family, I am the oldest sibling. I am not sure the other two consider me 'the head'. I am never considered myself 'powerful' within the family.
As I looked for a picture to share on Facebook in honour of the day, I chose one when I was the 'baby' in the family. I was the first grandchild on both sides, a position I held until my sister was born when I was 4. I had all my grandparents and some of my great grandparents. I know I was blessed. I wish I could remember the stories I am sure they told me.

Here I am at age 2 with my mother, my grandmother and my great-grandmother - 4 generations.
Happy Mother's Day!
According to one dictionary a 'matriarch' is a woman who is the head of a family or tribe;
an older woman who is powerful within a family or organization.
I am definitely older. In my birth family, I am the oldest sibling. I am not sure the other two consider me 'the head'. I am never considered myself 'powerful' within the family.
As I looked for a picture to share on Facebook in honour of the day, I chose one when I was the 'baby' in the family. I was the first grandchild on both sides, a position I held until my sister was born when I was 4. I had all my grandparents and some of my great grandparents. I know I was blessed. I wish I could remember the stories I am sure they told me.

Here I am at age 2 with my mother, my grandmother and my great-grandmother - 4 generations.
Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:
Post a Comment